Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, the future (1759) Marquis of Pombal was Portuguese Minister in London until 1743. He became a member of the Royal Society but did not much like the arrogant attitude of British merchants.
Time Line of Anglo-Portuguese Relations
Gerard de Visme (1725-1795) arrives in Lisbon from England. Of Huguenot descent he becomes a powerful English merchant and good friend of the Marquis of Pombal. He built the Parsonage at Estrela then the British Hospital (1793) and the neo-gothic Monserrate in Sintra. Also he built a beautiful quinta in Benfica where his received with princely hospitality.
Jacob de Castro Sarmento, a “new christian” (a converted Jew) comes to England to be able, it is thought, to practice his religion freely. He became a well known doctor and indeed had the Portuguese king D. José as one of his patients! He had received a medical diploma at Coimbra University and became a doctor of medicine at Marischal College in Aberdeen. He was elected a member of the Royal Society in 1725. He invented and marketed a medicine called “Agoa de Portugal” to combat malaria.
The author of Tom Jones, Henry Fielding comes out to Portugal hoping to cure his tuberculosis. He is buried in the British Cemetery in Lisbon. In 1755 his account "The Journal of a Voyage to Lisbon" was published.
The Great Earthquake of Lisbon. The House of Commons voted £ 100.000 as a relief of the disaster. The Bridgitine nun, Catherine Witham writes an interesting account in a letter to her mother. The British Consul in Lisbon was Abraham Castres who survived.
D. Martinho de Melo e Castro was Portuguese envoy in London until 1762 and then again between 1764 and 1769. He was responsible for ordering the Cheere lead statues which are now in the Queluz gardens and the Presidential Palace of Belém.
Portugal seemed about to be invaded by franco-spanish troops in the context of the Seven Year War. The Alliance was invoked and an expedition of 8000 British troops commanded by General Lord Tyrawley came to Portugal. In practice due to his advanced age command was taken over by his son Charles.
William and John Stephens under the protection of the Marquis de Pombal open a glass factory in Marinha Grande which became definitely established in 1786. Known as "Fábrica de Vidros da Marinha Grande" or "dos Irmãos Stephens". When John died in 1826 he left the factory in his will to the Portuguese State.
John Carr known later as Carr of York designs the Palladian hospital of Santo António in Oporto.
William Julius Mickle published an English translation of Camões' Lusíadas (which he called The Lusiad). He also published "Almada Hill. An Epistle from Lisbon" in 1781.